This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have associated with that data.
We use your data to provide and improve the Service. By using the Service, you agree to the collection and use of information following this policy.
Al Baraka Islamic Bank may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are pleased with any changes. This policy is effective from October 20, 2022.
Your data controller is Al Baraka Islamic Bank with whom you have registered a banking relationship and manage an account with, including using our digital platform and mobile application.
How is the personal information collected?
We collect personal data from several sources, including the following.
- Personal data received and collected via the mobile application named “Al Baraka Bahrain” (the “Al Baraka Islamic Bank Application”) and Al Baraka Islamic Bank digital platform.
- Personal data we receive directly by your engagement with us and our social media platforms.
- Personal data that we learn through your use of our services and products such as when you visit the Al Baraka Islamic Bank mobile application, digital platform, our websites, or when you communicate to us by the contact center.
- Personal data we receive directly from you or from a person acting on your behalf.
- Personal data we obtain from third parties such as credit reference, debt recovery, fraud prevention or government agencies, which may have originated from publicly accessible sources.
- Personal data that we gather from publicly available sources such as the internet and/or other local trade registers.
- Information provided by partners or third parties of Al Baraka Islamic Bank (such as through Al Baraka Islamic Bank online seminar sign-up),
- From servers in relation to your use of our digital platform and the Al Baraka Islamic Bank App.
What is the legal justification for this, how will we use your personal information, and with whom will we disclose it?
We will use your personal data for the following reasons as allowed by applicable laws, including data protection laws.
Processing that is necessary to set up, maintain and administer the contractual relationship with you.
- To enable you to manage your account with us and to assist you to transact with us.
- To operate and manage your Al Baraka Islamic Bank account and to manage your cards (debit and/or credit) that you have with Al Baraka Islamic Bank.
- To communicate with you and to resolve your queries.
- Processing that is necessary for our own legitimate interests (including those of Al Baraka Islamic Bank’s affiliates) or those of third parties to do the following.
- To collect due and outstanding debt which may involve passing your personal information to debt collection agencies.
- To keep records of communications to evidence what has been discussed, keep a record of your instructions, and to prevent or detect crime.
- To record customer account activities where we have reason to believe that fraud or other crimes are being committed or where we suspect non-compliance with anti-money laundering regulations to which we are subject.
- To evaluate the performance of our products, services, and internal processes to ensure that your personal information is only collected as needed and is held and processed securely.
- To develop statistics and for market research and analysis including to develop and improve our products and services so that we can offer new and enhanced products and services to the customer, which may include converting your personal information into statistical or aggregated data which cannot be used to identify you.
- To administer Al Baraka Islamic Bank’s internal operational requirements (including credit, compliance, and risk management, market research, system and product development, staff training, quality control, accounting, and for audit purposes).
- To keep records of communications and customer account activities (as described above) including (but not limited to) transactions and other activity effected on our digital platform, such as date and time of logging in and for how long the user is logged in.
- When sharing personal information with the following third parties:
- Any Al Baraka Islamic Bank affiliate to allow you to access our products and services. This includes our affiliates’ IT support teams for digital platform services.
- Any intermediary to whom we provide instructions or referrals.
- Our legal and professional advisers such as auditors and external legal counsel.
- Any sub-contractors, agents, or service providers (including our digital identity service provider) engaged by Al Baraka Islamic Bank and/or Al Baraka Group B.S.C (including their employees), such as backup and server hosting providers, IT software and maintenance providers, document storage providers and suppliers of other back-office functions.
- Credit reference, debt recovery, or fraud prevention agencies.
- Tax authorities, including those based overseas.
- Persons and financial institutions acting on behalf of the customer, payment recipients, beneficiaries, account nominees, correspondent, and agent banks.
- Processing that is necessary to comply with the following legal obligations.
- To comply with laws that require us to verify the identity of our customers and to detect and prevent financial crime.
- To comply with tax regulations that require us to report the tax status of our customers.
- When enforcing or defending our rights, or those of any Al Baraka Islamic Bank affiliate or a third party employed by us.
- To process requests relating to the exercise of your rights under applicable data protection laws.
- When sharing personal data with the following third parties:
- any governmental, banking, taxation, or other regulatory authorities or similar bodies with authority over any part of Al Baraka Islamic Bank or Al Baraka Group B.S.C, or under the rules of a relevant stock exchange, including those which are based overseas; and
- the courts, and as may otherwise be necessary for the administration of justice, to protect vital interests and to protect the security and integrity of Al Baraka Islamic Bank business operations.
What personal information about you do we collect?
- The personal data we collect about you includes information that we collect when we setup, administer, and manage our relationship with you, such as the following.
- Full name, nationality, date of birth, gender, residential address, country of birth, email addresses, biometric data, video selfie images, phone numbers, identity documents, proof of address documents, identity document number, employment status, employment information, tax status, tax identification number, FATCA forms, details of source of income and source of wealth, information on monthly income, average account financial activity.
- Personal data that we gather from publicly available sources, including social media, such as biographies held on the internet or other information that is available online.
- Personal data relating to transactions such as type, dates, amounts, currencies, payer, and payee details.
- Personal data we learn about you from the way you operate our products, services, and use the Al Baraka Islamic Bank mobile application and digital platform; including the technology you use for this, language preferences, contact list information, mobile phone and digital platform location data, and engagement data.
- Personal data that we gather from our interaction with you such as correspondence and records of interactions, social media messages, and complaints.
- Internet online identifiers and other technical personal data. These may leave traces which, when combined with unique identifiers and other information received by servers, may be used to identify you. Internet online identifiers may include internet protocol addresses (IP addresses) and cookie identifiers. Technical personal data may include mobile network information, unique device identified, traffic data including web logs.
- Personal data relating specifically to transactions conducted on our digital platform by you. Though our banking relationship is with you, we will be collecting information specific to transactions conducted by other customers that may relate to you (e.g., when another customer enters your IBAN/phone number for transactions, etc.).
- Security codes, including all confidential codes, usernames, user identifications and passwords, PIN/Password and information or a physical device (for example, an ATM card, a debit card, credit card, prepaid card, security token, or electronic key) that the user you must use to confirm your identity when accessing our digital platform. We may record calls, email, text messages, social media messages and other communications between you and employees of Al Baraka Islamic Bank.
Closed-circuit television (“CCTV”) may be used in and around our premises and ATM locations for the purposes of security and preventing crime, therefore we may have images of you captured by our CCTV cameras.
Processing based on your consent.
- To communicate with you about promotions, new features and offers through email or other channels of communications.
- Al Baraka Islamic Bank may share your personal information with other persons where you have provided your explicit consent to do that.
Identity verification and fraud prevention checks.
The personal information we have collected from you will be shared with fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance, or employment.
Your rights under data protection laws.
- Your rights are as follows (noting that these rights do not apply in all circumstances and that some of these rights are only relevant from the date of this policy notice):
- the right to be informed about the processing of your personal information;
- the right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed;
- the right to object to processing of your personal information;
- the right to restrict processing of your personal information;
- the right to have your personal information erased (the right to be forgotten); and
- the right to obtain information about how we process your personal information. If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please write to us.
Is providing your personal data necessary?
Without certain personal information about you, we are unable to establish or manage the relationship with you. When entering your personal information is optional, we'll make that apparent. For example, we'll specify in application forms which fields can be left blank. If we need your permission to process your personal data, we will be upfront about it.
Our associates and third parties that we may share your personal data with may be located outside of the Kingdom of Bahrain. Some countries already have sufficient protection for personal information under their applicable laws. In other countries safeguards will be applied to maintain the same level of protection of your personal data as in Bahrain. These safeguards may be contractual agreements with the overseas recipient, or requirements for recipients to subscribe to international data protection frameworks.
What factors are considered when deciding how long to keep your personal data?
We need to keep your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected (as described above). Even when you close the customer account with us, we must retain some of your personal data to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and in case of claims. We will also keep some of this information in case of queries from you.
We will continue to look after your personal data securely and your rights listed in this privacy notice remain in place until all your personal data is safely removed from our systems (once the regulatory retention period is achieved).
The criteria we use to decide data retention periods for your personal data includes the following.
- Retention in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements. We will retain personal data after our agreement with you has ended and, with respect to access to our digital platform, following the termination of such access, based on our legal and regulatory requirements.
- Retention in case of queries. We will retain some information in case of queries from you.
- Retention in case of legal claims. We will retain some information for the period in which you might legally bring claims against us.
Your rights under the Personal Data Protection Law of the Kingdom of Bahrain.
Your rights are as follows (noting that these rights do not apply in all circumstances and that some of these rights are only relevant from the date of this policy notice): • the right to be informed about the processing of your personal data;
- the right to withdraw your consent at any time;
- the right to object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes;
- the right to lodge a complaint. If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please write to us.
- the right to be notified upon processing of your personal data;
- the right to be notified of the decision on the automated processing of your personal data;
- the right to request rectification, blocking or erasure of your personal data;
- the right to object to the processing of your personal data causing material or moral damage;
- the right to obtain information about how we process your personal data;
Updates to your personal data.
Please notify us once if any of the personal information you have provided to us changes, such as your contact information. Similar to that, if we hold personal information on you that you believe to be incorrect, kindly let us know.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or your personal information, please contact Al Baraka Islamic Bank at:
Email Address: [email protected]
Al Baraka Islamic Bank
P.o. Box 1882, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain